Conduct Rule 1966
RAILWAY SERVICES (CONDUCT) RULES 1966
1) These Rules are called as Railway Services (Conduct) Rules 1966
a) Government in relation to :-
(i) Gazetted officers in Rly.Board – President
(ii) Other gazetted officers – Railway Board
(iii) Non-gazetted staff in RB – The Secretary, RB
(iv) NG staff in offices directly under control of RB – HODs
(v) NG Staff in Zonal Railways – GMs
Railway servant means, the Railway servants as defined in
rule No.102(13) of Indian Rly. Establishment Code Vol. I
Members of family means -
(2)Dependent Child/Children or Step child/children
(3) Any other dependent person related to Railway
employee blood relation or by marriage
3 General : (1) Every railway servant shall at all times –
(i) maintain absolute integrity,
(ii) maintain devotion to duty,
(iii) do nothing which is unbecoming of a railway servant.
(2) (i) Every railway servant holding a supervisory post shall take all possible steps to ensure the integrity and devotion to duty of all railway servant for the time being under his control and authority.
(ii) No railway servant shall, in the performances of his official duties, or in the exercise of powers confirmed on him, act otherwise than in his best judgment except when he is acting under the direction of his official supervisor.
(iii) the directions of the official supervisor shall ordinarily be in writing, and where the issue of oral direction becomes unavoidable, the official supervisor shall confirm it in writing immediately thereafter; and
(iv) A railway servant who has received oral direction from his official supervisor, shall seek confirmation of the same in writing as early as possible, whereupon it shall be the duty of the official supervisor to confirm the direction in writing.
3 A Promptness and courtesy
(a) in the performances of his official duties, act in a discourteous manner ;
(b) in his official dealings with the public or otherwise adopt dilatory tactics or willfully cause delays in disposal of the work assigned to him.
3 B Observance of Govt’s policies:
Age of marriage, protection of wild life and cultural heritage.
3C Prohibition of sexual harassment of working women.
(a) physical contact or advance
(b) demand or request for sexual favours
(c) sexually coloured remarks
(d) Showing any pornography; or
(e) Any other unwelcome physical verbal or non-verbal
conduct of sexual nature
4 Employment of near relatives of Railway Employees in private companies/undertakings enjoying government patronage:-
4.3. No dealing/contract with any company if any family member/relation is interested, but to bring to the notice of superior
5 Taking part in politics & elections.
(Political neutrality of Railway servant.)
5.4 Government servant cannot canvass for any political party.
6 Joining of associations or unions by railway servants
Not to join any association or union, the objective of which is prejudicial to the interest of the sovereignty and integrity of INDIA or public order or morality.
Not to participate in any demonstrations which are prejudicial to the interest of the sovereignty and integrity of India, the security of the state, friendly relations with a foreign country, public order, decency or morality, or which involves contempt of court, defamation or incitement to an offence.
8 Connection with Press or other Media
1.To own whole or part or conduct or participate in editing or management or any newspaper or periodical publications or electronic media one has to take permission
2. Publications official sub-rule (1)does not apply
3. To make clear that the ideas are or his/he own and not that of government.
9 Criticism of Government
No criticism in press, radio, TV or any media on governmental policies which can cause embarrassment to the government including relations with states and Centre and with our
10 Evidence before Committee or any other authority
Without prior permission not to evidence before any committees or persons
2. No criticism in the governmental policies on the evidences given
3. This rule does not apply to
a) evidence given at an Enquiry before an authority appointed
by government, parliament or state legislatures
b) evidence given in any judicial inquiry
c) evidence in any departmental inquiry ordered by an authority subordinate to the government.
11 Unauthorised communication of information
Not to directly or indirectly communicate/quote any official document or part in an unauthorized manner
not to accept contributions/raising of funds or other collections in cash or in kind for
whatsoever objective. seek prior permission
Save as otherwise provided, gifts not to be accepted or by family
members on behalf of railway employee.
(Gifts include free transport\boarding\lodging or other services)
(2) Can accept gifts from relations/friends with no official dealings
in the marriage ceremony, anniversaries, funerals and religious
functions In case it exceeds the following limits to intimate :-
Rs.7000/- Group “A” Officers
Rs.4000/- Group “B” Officers
Rs.2000/- Group “C” staff
Rs. 1000/- Group “D” Staff
(3) In any other case no gifts to be accepted if the value exceeds the
Rs.1500/- Group “A” and “B” Officers
Rs. 500/- Group “C” and “D” staff
13 A, Dowry.
14 Public demonstrations in honour of Railway servants.
15 Private trade or employment
16 Investment, Lending and Borrowing
- No Railway servant should speculate in any stock, share or other
investment, occasional investment, through stock, brokers or other persons duly authorized.
- No Railway servant shall make or permit any member of his family or any any person acting on his behalf to make any investment which is likely to embarrass or influence him in the discharge of his official duties.
3. If any question whether transaction is of the nature referred to in the decision of the
Government shall be final.
4. No Railway servant shall
- Lend or borrow money, as principal or grant, to or from any person with whom he is likely to have official dealings or otherwise place himself under any pecuniary obligation to such person; or Lend any money to any person at interest or in a manner whereby return in money or kind is charged of paid. He may give to, or accept from his relative of a personal friend, a purely temporary loan of a small amount free of interest or operate a credit account with a bonafide tradesman or make an advance of a pay of this private employee. The amount shall be as follows:-
Gazetted employee A small amount upto Rs. 10,000/-
Non Gazetted employee A small amount upto Rs. 5,000/-
17 Insolvency and Habitual Indebtedness.
Report the full facts of any legal proceeding to the Government.
18 Movable, Immovable and Valuable Property
Every Railway servant shall on his first appointment to the Railway service, submit a return of his assets and liabilities, in such form as may be prescribed by the Government giving particulars regarding:-
the immovable property inherited by him, owned or acquired by him or held by him on lease or mortgage, either in his own name or in the name of any member of his family or in the name of any other person.
the shares, debentures and cash including bank deposits inherited by him or similarly owned, acquired, or held by him
other movable property inherited by him or similarly owned, acquired or held by him, and debts and other liabilities incurred by him directly or indirectly.
No Railway servant shall except with the previous knowledge of the Government, acquire or dispose off any immovable property by lease, mortgage, purchase, sale, gift or otherwise either in his own name or in the name of any member of his family.
Jewellery, insurance policies the annual premium of which exceeds two months basic pay of the railway servant, shares, securities and debentures.
Government for this purpose, is the Railway Board in the case of
Groups ‘A’ and ‘B’ Officers. However, the powers of the Railway Board in this regard have been delegated to the General Managers, subject to the condition that in all such cases of reporting of transactions/sanctions to transactions relevant details shall be sent to Railway Board.
3. Where a railway Servant enters into a transaction in respect of movable property either in his own or in the name of a member of his family, he shall, within one month from the date of such transaction , report the same to the Government, if the value of such property exceeds two months basic pay of the Railway Servant.
( Advance correction slip 118 ) Railway Board’s letter no. E(D&A) 2011 GSI-3 dated 11-07-2011.
Previous sanction of the Government shall be obtained if transaction is with a person having official dealings with him
The Government or any authority empowered by it in this behalf may at any time, by general or special order, require a railway servant to furnish, within a period specified in the order, a full and complete statement of such movable or immovable property held or acquired by him or on his behalf or by any member of his family as may be specified in the order. Such statement shall, if so required by the Government or by the authority so empowered, include the details of the means by which or the source from which, such property was acquired.
- The Government may exempt any category of Railway servant belonging to Class III or Class IV from any of the provisions of this Rule except Sub Rule (4)
18A.A restriction in relation to acquisition and disposal of immovable property outside India and transactions with foreigners:-
No Railway servant shall, except with the previous sanction of
- acquire by purchase, mortgage, gift or otherwise, either in his own name or in the name of his family, any immovable property situated outside India.
- dispose off by sale, mortgage, gift or otherwise, or grant any lease in respect of any immovable property situated outside India which was acquired or is held by him either in his own name or in the name of any member of his family
- enter into any transaction with any foreigner, foreign Government foreign organization or concern.
19.Vindication of Acts and Character of Railway Servants
20 Canvassing for Non Official or other influence.
21. Restriction regarding Marriage.
- No Government servant shall enter into or contract a marriage with a person having a spouse living.
2. No Government servant shall enter into or contract a marriage with a person having a spouse living. Provided that the Central Government may permit a Government
servant to enter into, or contract, any such marriage is referred to in clause (1) or clause (2) if it is satisfied that such marriage is permissible under the personal law applicable to
such Government servant and the other party to the marriage; and (b) there are other grounds for doing so. A Government servant who has married or marries a person other than of Indian Nationality shall forthwith intimate that fact to the Government
22Consumption of Intoxicating Drinks and Drugs
(1) A Railway servant shall:-
- strictly abide by the law relating to intoxicating drinks or drugs in
the course of his duties and also shall -
- take due care that the performance of his duties is not affected in any way by the influence of any intoxicating drink or drug.
- A Railway servant shall not:-
- appear in a public place in a state of intoxication
- habitually use any intoxicating drink or drug in excess and
- if he belongs to the category of running staff (both loco and traffic) or
is connected directly with train passing have taken or used intoxicating drinks or drugs within eight hours of the commencement of duty or take such drinks or drugs during the course of duty.
22a.Prohibition regarding employment of children
below 14 years of age
Powers is reserved to the President
24.Delegation of Powers:
Can be done by Government to any officer or authority as specified in the order
25.Repeal and Saving
26.Obligations to abide by all Administrative Instructions
Notwithstanding anything contained in these rules, a railway servant shall be governed by all the administrative instructions that may be issued from time to time in regard to the conduct of Railway servants.
(R.B. No. E(D&A) 62 GS 1-11 of 21-3-1966)